Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Frumpy Avenue - Breakfast Edition

Happy New Year, Nesters!

    The holiday season has come to an end. I don't mean to point fingers, but I think we can all agree that we have veered off Calorie Counting Lane onto what we wish was the road less traveled of Frumpy Avenue.  Between the cookies, deep fried turkey and endless mac-and-cheese, our elastic pants have failed us, and it is time for some clean eating!  With the New Year's resolutions in full force, it's time to curb our cravings, discard the decadent chocolate, and trash the turkey dressing.  And yes, ladies, that includes the secret stash in your night stand that you hide from your husband... it's gotta go.

    Suck it in, suck it up and jump on the wagon!  J and I have spent some time trying to find healthIER alternatives to get us back on track.  No, this is not 'How to Lose 10 Pounds in 5 Minutes' or the perfect diet; it's simply a few yummy delights that will satisfy your hunger and keep you from secretly running through the drive-thru on your way into work.

    First off, WATER.  Toss your sweet tea, soda, and the left over egg nog.  Water is your best friend.  Say it with me... WATER IS MY BEST FRIEND.  Water hydrates you, improves the look of your skin, and makes you feel better!  And guess what? It is CALORIE FREE! {I could go on.}
    Yet,  I can already hear the peanut gallery chiming in.... "But, I don't like how water tastes!"
Either get over it and buy yourself some SmartWater, or try this little gem:
Lemon-Mint Water aka Fancy Water

2 Quarts of Water
Juice of one Lemon
1 Lemon (sliced thinly)
Ice
2-3 Mint Sprigs

Let this concoction marinate for an hour or so and then enjoy.  This water is cool, refreshing and tastes amazing!! No calories. No fuss.  And you'll look fancy :)
An added plus, you ask? Toss the left over mint & lemon into your garbage disposal for an all natural cleanser with an amazing fragrance.

{Nester Tip: Carry a water bottle with you to stay hydrated. My favorite is the Camelbak which is available at Target. Go check them out!}



Breakfast
    I am by far the worst breakfast-ing woman on this planet.  I don't know what it is; but, I can rarely get myself to eat a breakfast that's even remotely close to turning my brain on for the day.  Yet, drum roll please, I have found several breakfast items that sound beyond delish!  And, they are quick & easy which is 100% essential at 5:45am on my way to the hospital.  Let's see what I can woo my Nesters with...

Whole Grain Waffle with Nutella Spread

You can jazz up this morning meal with whatever you want! Golden raisins, strawberries, blueberries, bananas, pecans, etc.  And of course, substitute the waffle out for your favorite whole grain bread, English muffin, or tortilla. 
The warm waffle & nutella with the cool, juicy fruit is to die for!
{Nester Tip: Fold up your yummy b-fast Taco Style when you're in a hurry.  It's a quick fix and you will obviously look oh-so-classy doing so!}
Quick. Easy. Delish.
1 Eggo Whole Grain Waffle=170 Calories
1/2 Tbsp Nutella=50 Calories



Nester-made Smoothies

Y'all are going to need something to wash down that scrumptious Nutella with.  Why not add some fiber, calcium and vitamins?  It's easy-peasy and totally worth it.
Grab your favorite fruit from the freezer section of your local grocery (or fresh if you have it!), add some plain greek yogurt, some ice and a splash of OJ and you have yourself one tasty treat!  There is no rhyme or reason to the creation; add as much or as little of each ingredient to make it how YOU like it! You are the one drinking it after all :) 
Some of our favorites are: Strawberry Banana, Peach, Strawberry Basil, and Blueberry.
Check out some interesting combos here.



Breakfast Parfait


                                                   
It's that easy, y'all. Grab a coffee mug, some greek yogurt, and your favorite fruit combo and voila! A perfect morning treat. 
1 cup Oikos Greek Yogurt (Plain)=130 Calories *NONE from fat!!*


Homemade Fruit and Oat Granola Bars

I. Can't. Wait.
This recipe is beyond simple and I cannot wait to try it out!  My main motivation?  I am always trying to find the best breakfast/energy bar out there.  There are SO many and they all seem the same.  I want to be healthy; but, I also don't want my food to taste like cardboard while doing so. Who's with me?
{Oats, Brown Sugar, Cinnamon, Vanilla Extract, Dried Fruits}
Click here to make these with me! I will be posting about my experience & can't wait to see how they turn out. Yes, this takes a little bit more commitment but.... it makes 16 bars!! 


I hope y'all enjoy these little gems as much as we do! They are tasty, easy, and not too bad for you!  Add them to your New Years Resolution regime and kiss Frumpy Avenue Goodbye!  J & I are spending the day cleaning up the house and attempting some DIY projects around the house which I can't wait to share with you soon.  Be on the look out for our home projects and the lunch edition of Frumpy Avenue soon :) Until then...

xoxo,
A









No comments:

Post a Comment