Wednesday, January 9, 2013

Grateful for Today

    

Hi Nesters!  Tonight's post isn't a DIY project, great recipes, or a "how to" tutorial; rather an outlet of what has been on my mind lately.

As I was driving down the road the other day, my head was filled with several thoughts.  Excitement of the new school semester starting, the enjoyment of this past holiday season, the quality time J and I have spent together cooking and adventuring, new projects and decorating around the house; all sorts of things.  My mind drifted to a new little journey that my neighbor and friend, Meghan, and I had been chatting about lately.  We both have been wanting to join a Small Group within our churches, but haven't found the right one for us or that fits our schedule.  So, we decided to start our own little Small Group.  In two weeks, we are going to have our first "small session" of four women simply getting together to talk about the week, where we are in our journey with God, focus on specific scripture and help each other grow as Christian women.  With thoughts of our upcoming journey and a smile across my face, I called J and literally said, "Hun, don't take this the wrong way, because I have never been unhappy, but I am so incredibly happy and thankful for our life."

That thought has been resonating with me more and more.  The comment may seem strange out of context, but let me explain.  
I have a loving husband who would give his life for me.  
A supportive family that is continually loving and encouraging me.  
Dear friends that I can laugh until I cry with.  
A roof over my head and food on my table.  
A God that answers my prayers.    
An education in nursing that will fulfill my dreams and help others.  
A car to get me to and from my destination safely.
A job that I absolutely LOVE that pays the bills.
Clean air to breathe.
My health.
At the end of the day, what more can we ask for?  I am not having to deal with cancer that is slowly taking my spouse away from me and our children.  I have not had to watch my sibling or parent leave this earth.  I have not had to experience abuse or pain.  I have not had to watch my child hurt.  I have not had to experience true tragedy.  I am not having to go through a divorce.  I have not lost my job due to cut backs and budgeting.  I have not been taken for granted.  I have not suffered from the cold weather while sleeping on a sidewalk.  I have not had to fear the unknown.  All of these mentioned situations have happened to others around me and I cannot help but have a heavy heart full of prayer for the less fortunate.

What I'm saying is; be grateful for today, don't sweat the small stuff.  For someone else is always fighting a tougher battle than we are, even on our worst day.  Be thankful for the things we take for granted as they have never been taken from us, and give back to those in need who have been less fortunate.  Hug your loved ones a little tighter, a little longer, and thank God for letting us live our life to the fullest.  

Is it okay to be stressed out? Of course.  Is it alright to be mad at your crappy day and want to climb into a hole? Absolutely.  Are we going to have days when we aren't feeling grateful? Yep.
But, we must remember that every day is a gift and we never know what lies ahead of us.

Be grateful for today, Nesters.  The big things, the small things, and everything in between.

xoxo,
A

1 comment:

  1. Very well put Amy!! I am very thankful and blessed to have a great friend like you! LYLAS :)

    ReplyDelete